Thursday 6 April 2017

Evaluation Question 2 - How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?



















script: The main product for my project was a coming of age trailer for a film I called Happening upon Luna. Alongside that I created two ancillary texts to compliment the product, which was my magazine front cover and my print product poster, which would be best advertised on a cinema poster or on the side of a bus stop, as well as a Billboard poster
.  I attempted to create a common connection with all of my products throughout various different aspects. However with each of my products I cannot show too much of the narrative as there will be no element of curiosity for the audience if they know exactly what the film will consist of.
Happening upon Luna is about a young girl called Luna who destined to complete her career as a director enters a competition with the BFI to complete a documentary. However she finds herself stuck with one of the schools most popular girls to complete the project with, which they both find hard at first, but the more time they spend with each other, the better friends they become. Until her friend Jamie becomes jealous of the time they are spending together and helps to sabotage their relationship by causing Luna to upload the documentary in which they hadn't finished. This causes Luna to fall out with both of her friends and a lot of problems she then has to fix to get back her friendship.
The first is with my logo, I ensured that my logo would look the same throughout all of my products to create synergy throughout the products. There were some issues with this, as I used different software for each product I had to try to make each of the fonts the same as each other.  With the two products, my trailer and my poster I kept the same colour scheme, however with the magazine I had to change the colour for it to stand out.  With the colour scheme, my aim was to make sure that the colours created the same binary opposite effect as the characters, so there was a common subconscious theme throughout my products, to show the main characters are opposite, linking to Levi - Strauss' binary opposite theory. This is so that the audience find similarity between my products and can easily recognise them, making my product look more appealing.
Throughout all of my products I also wanted to keep this idea that the product was different to the rest of coming of age films. Therefore conforming to Steve Neale's theory of genre evolution. Happening upon Luna is supposed to be stretching the boundaries of coming of age films as there are conventions that the film does not conform to, meaning it does not follow the same boundaries as most coming of age films. There is also the common similarities between my products to make sure the audience feels 3/4 of Blumler and Katz theory, that the audience should feel diverted (as each of these products look interesting to engage and divert them from their lives, to feel a personal relationship with the products, as each product is easily accessible if they were on the market, therefore the audience can bond between each of the products. Creating more connections with people who have a common interest in the product. Finally using the theory of personal identity, through the idea of using technology, such as Luna's camera. This theory is the idea that the audience can compare their lives with the products, in which they can as technology is a key product to the target audience, meaning they can feel a sense of similarity with this feature as I have incorporated it into each of my products.
In terms of the genre, I have followed links towards Rick Altmans semantic and syntactic elements theory as this is something that can be clearly addressed throughout my trailer and ancillary texts. I have used certain semantic elements, such as the constant use of technology throughout my products to show that this is a film following features from the 21st century, such as the use of cameras and phones to use socially and educationally. I have also used young actors to play within my trailer so that the audience associate it with a teenage film as the actors are young and can potentially be playing students.
I have also attempted to keep a continuous link towards social media throughout my products. Especially through my poster and my trailer. This is to help my audience feel more of a connection as social media is also a key feature in my target audience's lives, so linking my products to social media makes it more appealing for my audience, as well as including more than one social media platform to make my products more diverse.
Within my trailer and my production I have attempted to follow props character rules as well as straus' binary opposite theory. This is by making each of the characters completely different to each other. Luna is the pessimistic character, but is the main focus of the film, hence the name of the film, as well as being the main image for both of my ancillary texts. She is seen as the hero and the villain at the same time because of her being the main character who forms and breaks the friendships. Whereas the character Tessa is the more optimistic character who wanted to create the friendship in the first place. She is seen as the princess in terms of props character types, as she is the character who needs to be saved and fixed by Luna. She is the second most important character but is not as pushed into my trailer and print products.
The character Jamie is the sidekick / the villain of the production as she is the character who stops the friendship between the characters Tessa and Luna. However she also is Luna's best friend, in which if we were to see the whole film, Jamie would help by thinking of the idea to make the whole documentary about Luna. She is also not a character who has been included in the ancillary texts as she is not the most important character.
Each of these characters I have decided whether or not they will be associated to Laura Mulvey's objectification theory. However the only character that I believe applies to this is Tessa's virgin association.
Within each product I have continuously used a medium shot so that you can be introduced to the character. Some will depend on the different angles, but this is so that the audience can see the characters clearly on all products and means they will understand the narrative better.
Finally I have included a continuous reference to different reviews on the products and awards, this is to make more of a reliable perception of the product and represents my product as being something that will be worth watching and creating a consistency shows that it has been seen by lots of authorities that found it appealing. I have managed to do this by using the Laurel wreaths as this is a common convention that is used to represent awards that have been given to the production as it has been recognised and voted for.



No comments:

Post a Comment